The primary role of the Grants Writer is to support the grant strategy, design, and production efforts of the organization and its clients. Areas of activity include funder research, grant writing, and proposal development.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Meet with AVP for Research and Sponsored Programs regularly to discuss grant and funding opportunities.
- Research new grant opportunities and industry trends; identifies local, state, federal, philanthropic, and corporate funding opportunities for proposal development and submission.
- Manage a standard project portfolio (pre and post award) maintaining the life- cycle of numerous sponsored projects from proposal to closeout.
- Disseminate changes in federal, state, and institutional policies, rules, and regulations and ensure organizational participation in compliance.
- Writes, edit and submit competitive grant proposals that include needs analysis, goals, objectives, activities, evaluation strategies, timelines, a project budget, and supporting data.
- Manage and assemble all materials for grant submissions including, but not limited to, proposal forms, concept papers, budgets, letters of support, and memorandum of agreements/understanding; coordinates the timely execution of grant submissions.
- Maintain record of pending, funded, and declined proposals in related software applications as well as ongoing relationship development activities with funding sources and their representatives.
- Ability to reconcile sponsored funding as it pertains to the compliance of the applicable guidelines. The knowledge to know what can get charged to the accounts and why ~ or if not doing the actual accounting, the knowledge to know how it works from start to finish with the project.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong project and time management skills.
- Experience with and a passion for the work of the nonprofit sector.
- A self-starter.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in any writing-intensive major such as English, journalism, communications or marketing (preferred).
- At least three years of prior development experience, particularly in grant writing and grant management.
- Experience managing proposals and reports for grant portfolios including coordinating with team members to produce quality products and following grants calendar and deadlines.
- Knowledge of grant submission and administration processes.
- Proven track record of funded grant proposals of $10,000+