The Network Engineer operates systems critical to the stable monitoring and functioning of the Edge’s data network. The incumbent must be comfortable acting both independently and in a team environment, and will require excellent troubleshooting, time management, and documentation skills as well as appropriate technical skills. While the majority of this position’s work occurs during normal business hours, this position is also on call for emergency support and may be scheduled to work outside of normal business hours on an as needed basis.
Duties and Responsibilities
Overall responsibility for network and telecommunications systems and infrastructure including but not limited to:
- Provide for the overall health and well-being of the network and related equipment (routers, managed switches, VPNs, firewalls, etc.)
- Systems that manage, control, monitor and enhance system reliability, serviceability, performance and scalability.
- Systems that provide high network availability and automated failover using redundant connections.
- Systems for network security, including firewalls, intrusion protection systems, port security and network access controllers.
- Systems that manage and control the wireless network and wireless access points.
- Integrating user-based network access control.
- Systems to accommodate guests of the college on the network.
- Administer the above systems as directed, including responsibility for documentation, configuration, ongoing maintenance, replacement, and upgrades.
- Maintaining and keeping up to date with networking security and based practices.
- Carry, pack or unpack, assemble or disassemble, connect or disconnect, configure or reconfigure and install or uninstall network equipment and related hardware.
- Manage and work on IT projects as either lead or individual contributor; utilize excellent organizational skills and effectively collaborate with peers, management, and end users.
- Demonstrate ownership and responsibility in all assignments.
- Use a ITIL based ticketing system to identify and communicate resolution to incidents.
- Perform other related duties and projects as assigned.
- Minimum of 5 years operational IT experience with at least 3 years prior experience working with industry leading networking devices, including routers and switches as well as other networking gear in support of LANs, VLANs, WANs and security devices.
- Proven knowledge based on work experience with BGP, OSPF, IPV6 and other networking protocols.
- Knowledge of CentOS/RHEL.
- Experience providing support for large enterprise or service provider networks.
- Experience troubleshooting with network diagnostic tools.
- Experience troubleshooting and resolving networking issues in a timely manner with network diagnostic tools.
- Knowledge of Python, PHP and Bash.
- Knowledge of Linux routing and networking in general for high throughput applications.
- Must have a valid license to drive that is in good standing.
- Hardware configuration and server assembly for custom configurations.
- Must be capable of lifting up to 25 lbs., climb ladders, bend and stoop to perform equipment maintenance in facilities when necessary.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.