New Jersey’s Higher Education and Research Network (NJEdge.Net) provides connectivity and transport services, access to Internet2 and support for various on-network applications and services to more than 50 connected members throughout the State of New Jersey and the region.
Reporting to the Principal Network Architect, the Network & Systems Engineer (Level 1) manages the daily operational activities of the NJEdge.Net network and systems. This position is responsible for the systems maintenance of the switching/routing infrastructure for production and maintenance systems. Responsibilities include support for remote hands on installation, moves, adds and repairs of network hardware, supporting ongoing member installation and upgrade projects along with trouble shooting both core network, member access, performance and systems issues.
The Network & Systems Engineer (Level 1) works in concert with the Principle Network Architect, AVP Programs and Services, NJEdge.Net’s technical team, contracted resource and member network specialists with the ongoing planning and designing of the network infrastructure and enterprise network solutions; troubleshooting, installing, implementing and administering management network, production network, associated server systems and providing support and problem resolution to the membership. The Network & Systems Engineer (Level 1) also analyzes capacity issues and develops capacity planning models, ensures planned testing activities are executed. The Network & Systems Engineer (Level 1) also responds to technical inquiries, logs service and repair activities, creates manuals and guides, updates and maintains all network documentation.
- A self-starter who is intellectually curious, innovative, and excited about “creating” in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to manage an aggressive agenda in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment.
- Strategic and future-oriented, with a tangible, demonstrated, robust commitment to the mission and growth strategies of Edge.
- Superior communication skills; expert at translating and communicating complex financial and operational information to varying audiences.
- Effective, creative and a problem-solver.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Primary responsibility is to manage day to day operations of the NJEdge network and associated systems.
- Strong working familiarity with Linux
- Cisco IOS/XR and Nexus OS with hands-on experience configuring Cisco routers, switches.
- Network Connectivity: Provides support for network connectivity or related network issues for the user community.
- Manages trouble ticket resolution in NJEdge service desk platform.
- Troubleshoot all network and systems related problems
- Ability to work with multiple vendors concurrently to resolve problems
- Assists in the installation of network and associated production systems.
- Installation of hardware and cabling in support of network installations, moves, adds and changes.
- Network Monitoring: Analyzes network activity and network problems to discover and prevent systematic errors.
- Issue Resolution: Troubleshoots, diagnoses and resolves network problems. Researches, analyzes and recommends the implementation of software or hardware changes to rectify any network deficiencies or to enhance network performance.
- Ability to provision services on various platforms
- Manage Inventory and documentation.
- Ability to work in a dynamically changing environment.
- Perform required maintenance on all network hardware and software platforms
- Network Performance Assessment: Assesses network performance to ensure that it meets the present and future needs of the membership.
- Knowledge of commercial enterprise-level tools and products to provide network services, including: ASA firewalls, IPS/IDS, DNS, DHCP, web security, TACACS+, VPN and NAC.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- This role is designated as a remote personnel position and the incumbent is expected to function autonomously, manage time efficiently and in so doing achieve high levels of productivity. These are essential capabilities and will be an area of evaluation on personnel reviews and performance plans.
- Document and communicate assigned work and progress to immediate project team, management and member stakeholder personnel.
- Communicate problems and/or issues in a timely manner and in accord with established protocols for incident management and problem resolution.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with NJEdge staff, vendor partners and the membership.
- Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to provide nontechnical descriptions of technology issues for nontechnical managers, directors and other stakeholders.
- Provide customer support with high levels of professional conduct
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as directed by the Principle Network Architect and senior management of the NJEdge organization.
- Will be required to travel to NJEdge POPs and member locations in support of NJEdge operational activities.
- Ability to operate Optical Power Meters, OTDR, Light Source Meters
- Minimum of 5 years operational IT experience with at least 3 years prior experience working with Cisco networking devices including routers and switches as well as other networking gear.
- Proven knowledge based on work experience with BGP, OSPF and IPV6.
- Knowledge of CentOS/RHEL
- Experience providing support for large enterprise or service provider networks.
- Experience with network diagnostic tools
- Knowledge of Python, PHP and Bash.
- Knowledge of Linux routing and networking in general for high throughput applications
- Must have a valid license to drive that is in good standing.
- Hardware configuration and server assembly for custom configurations
- Must be capable of lifting up to 50 lbs., climb ladders, bend and stoop to perform equipment maintenance in Co-location facilities when necessary
- Related Cisco certifications including Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP), CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, RHEL
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
Compensation and Benefits
An annual salary of $100,000. Medical, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability and life insurance, 401(k) plan, three weeks paid time off (PTO), and 10 paid holidays.