Location: Atlantic City, New Jersey
The Executive Director will be responsible for launching and growing the New Jersey Esports Innovation Center in Atlantic City, a new membership-based nonprofit focused on research/development and innovation to advance New Jersey’s position as a leader in the burgeoning esports industry. The Center’s initial work will concentrate on five areas: catalyzing collaborative technology innovation; supporting workforce development and education in the esports industry; positioning New Jersey and Atlantic City as esports leaders; promoting best practices for regulating wagering and ensuring integrity in esports; and advocating for diversity, inclusion, and healthy gaming practices as essential components of esports culture. The Center will connect relevant corporate, investment, academic, nonprofit, and government stakeholders within the industry and be a locus for developing Atlantic City as a hub for esports competition, research, innovation, and wagering. The Executive Director will form and evolve relationships with key partners, identifying ways to respond to industry needs and strengthen New Jersey’s esports ecosystem. The Executive Director will report to the Center’s Board of Trustees.
Remote work may be necessary at least through 2021 and will be possible at least part-time going forward. Some travel to conferences, meetings, and industry events will be required (mostly within New Jersey with some out-of-state domestic travel).
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with existing Center members
- Connect with esports industry stakeholders within and outside New Jersey to grow the Center’s membership and impact
- Serve as public facing advocate for the esports industry in New Jersey
- Establish and mature mutually beneficial relationships with key partners, identifying ways to grow and strengthen the esports industry in New Jersey
- Identify and pursue funding opportunities and potential sponsors for the Center
- Lead day-to-day management of Center operations, supervise staff, and delegate tasks as necessary
- Develop and execute portfolio of Center programming activities to include workforce development programming (job training workshops, internship program, etc.), industry panels, seminars, product demonstrations, coding challenges, and conferences or other thought leadership events
- Organize quarterly Industry Advisory Board (IAB) and Nonprofit Advisory Board (NAB) meetings; Present options to IAB and NAB for members to vote on funding decisions, including research grants
- Report to Board of Trustees, IAB, and NAB on Center activities, achievements, and challenges; prepare annual report for members and public
- Undertake strategic planning process to define medium- and long-term goals for the Center
- Provide input to the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement and the Esports Integrity Coalition on shaping regulatory and integrity rule sets to govern wagering on esports events and competitions in New Jersey.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, and 7+ years of experience in technology, gaming, and/or entertainment, including at least 2 years of management experience
- Strong stakeholder engagement skills; able to work closely with others across private industry, academia, and government
- Familiarity with esports industry
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Flexible and adaptable to changing landscape
- Previous experience leading an innovation-focused organization
- Strong understanding of technology needs and challenges in esports industry and/or esports wagering
- Previous experience in business development and/or identifying funding opportunities
- Master’s in Business Administration or other relevant graduate degree
Employment with the Center is contingent on passing a background check, disclosing current and former business relationships with and/or investments in esports-associated organizations, and verifying no competing interests with the mission of the Center.
Compensation and Benefits
$80,000-$100,000, based on qualifications