The Business Development Associate for NJEdge, New Jersey and the region’s premiere Research and Education Network (REN), and technology solutions organization, reports directly to the Associate Vice President of Business Development and National Sales and will serve an assigned territory as a primary contact for member engagement with respect to NJEdge products, services, and solutions.
This position requires a self-starter who is self-reliant, and a consistent ability to effectively plan, coordinate, execute, and achieve results. This definition includes acquiring resources and coordinating the efforts of the NJEdge team (and potentially third-party contractors or consultants) to deliver products, services, and solutions to member institutions through a solution selling approach. The Business Development Associate will follow a pipeline approach in concert with NJEdge’s defined sales funnel to advance leads to opportunity, opportunity to contract, and contract to close.
The Business Development Associate must communicate effectively with members, partners and NJEdge staff to achieve gross and net revenue goals through proliferation and adoption of NJEdge products, services, and solutions. This position requires excellent time management skills, follow through, attention to detail, market understanding and strategy, and strong team work. Earning potential for the Business Development Associate is achieved primarily through an annual base salary plus commission plan; earning potential via sales commissions is not capped.
This role will serve as a key relationship manager to NJEdge members and clients and will work in collaboration with the entire NJEdge team to ensure a high level of member satisfaction. The Business Development Associate is expected to achieve targeted gross and net revenues in providing the highest quality service in support of determining and acquiring technology services, products, and solutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with and provide professional support to the Associate Vice President of Business Development and National Sales, other team members and senior staff.
- Assist in preparing recommendations as needed to support organization strategic planning.
- Working with NJEdge’s Leadership Team to identify and develop members and prepare for outside sales.
- Maintain data hygiene in Customer Relationship Management (CRM) platform by providing up-to-date information for all sales pipeline activity.
- Incorporate bidirectional data flows for CRM into Edge business processes and activities.
- Track member activities and provide periodic updates regarding sales and service activity and development requirements.
- Work with new and existing members: respond to inquiries, and support new service delivery and solution development including opportunities for cross sell and upsell.
- Interact with Edge processes and tools as appropriate.
- Prepare account capture plans in collaboration with Edge team.
- Work to achieve policy and program outcomes.
- Set customer satisfaction goals and manage processes and procedures to meet or exceed these goals on a consistent basis.
- Identify when escalation is needed and follow established escalation procedures.
- Attendance and participation in Edge and third-party events and conferences as required.
- Regional travel as required to support the NJEdge membership and strategic plan.
- In-depth knowledge of solution selling
- Experience working with CRM systems
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple ongoing accounts/activities with minimal supervision
- Ability to work concurrently on complex project elements exercising independent judgment
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills, writing ability, computer and MS Office Skills with a focus on MS Excel
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Capable of working effectively in online, virtual events
- SLED vertical experience
- Experience working with a sales pipeline or funnel approach
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution.
Compensation and Benefits
Annual base salary plus commission; medical, dental, vision, long-term disability and life insurance, 401(k) plan, three weeks paid time off (PTO), and 10 paid holidays.