New Jersey's Higher Education and Research Network (NJEdge) provides secure, high performing, connectivity and transport services, access to the Internet, Internet2 and content providers through various peering relationships, support for various on network applications and services to more than 50 connected members throughout the State of New Jersey. Reporting to the Principal Network Architect, the Network Support Engineer manages the day to day operations of the network and responds to all manner of issues that emerge through our customer care center or by way of interactions with service providers. In so doing the Network Support Engineer works in concert with network technical support team, contracted resource and member network specialists with the ongoing planning and design of the network infrastructure and enterprise network solutions; troubleshooting, installing, implementing and administering network systems and providing support and problem resolution to the membership. The Network Support Engineer also analyzes capacity issues and develops capacity planning models and ensures planned testing activities are executed. The Network Support Engineer also responds to technical inquiries, logs service and repair activities, creates manuals and guides, updates and maintains all network documentation. The Network Support Engineer travels to all NJEdge colocation facilities to perform service as required.
- Use PRTG to monitor and manage network security and optimize network flows and operations.
- Strong working familiarity with Cisco IOS,XE with hands-on experience configuring Cisco routers, switches and firewalls.
- Network Connectivity: Provides support for network connectivity or related network issues for the user community.
- Troubleshoot Routing problems
- Ability to work the multiple vendors concurrently to resolve problems
- Network Installation: Plans and monitors the installation of network systems.
- Network Monitoring: Analyzes network activity and network problems to discover and prevent systematic errors.
- Issue Resolution: Troubleshoots, diagnoses and resolves network problems. Researches, analyzes and recommends the implementation of software or hardware changes to rectify any network deficiencies or to enhance network performance.
- Capacity Planning: Analyzes facilities bandwidth requirements and system interdependencies. Develops capacity planning models.
- Manage Network Inventory
- Ability to work in a dynamically changing environment
- Perform required maintenance on all network hardware and software platforms
- Network Performance Assessment: Assesses network performance to ensure that it meets the present and future needs of the membership.
- Knowledge of commercial enterprise-level tools and products to provide network services, including: firewalls, IPS/IDS, DNS, DHCP, web security, TACACS+, VPN and NAC.
- Primary responsibility is to manage day to day operations and take actions needed to ensure the security and integrity of the network
- Document and communicate assigned work and progress to immediate project team, management and member stakeholder personnel.
- Communicate problems and/or issues in a timely manner and in accord with established protocols for incident management and problem resolution.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with NJEDge staff, vendor partners and the membership.
- Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to provide plain English explanations of technology issues for nontechnical managers, directors and other stakeholders.
- Provide customer support with high levels of professional conduct
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as directed by the Network Architect and senior management of the NJEDge organization.
- Demonstrated expertise using Network analytics and monitoring tools such as Peakflow, Netflow and PRTG
- Understanding of the multifaceted security threat vectors and vulnerabilities to against which service provider networks must protect themselves
- At least 2 years prior experience working with Cisco networking devices including routers and switches as well as other networking gear.
- Proven knowledge based on work experience with BGP, OSPF, STP, Multicast, SNMP, IPV6 and LISP.
- Experience providing support for a routed network.
- Experience with Network diagnostic tools
- At least three years of relevant IT work experience.
- Must have a valid license to drive that is in good standing.
- Must be capable of lifting up to 50 lbs., climb ladders, bend and stoop to perform equipment maintenance in network facilities.
- Knowledge of LINUX/UNIX, Windows and other operating systems.
- Related Cisco certifications including Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP), CCNA, CCDA, CCNP