Reporting to the Principal Network Architect, the Network Support Engineer manages the day to day operations of the NJEdge network. In so doing the Network Support Engineer works in concert with the Principal Network Architect, AVP Programs and Services, NJEdge’s technical team, contracted resource and member network specialists with the ongoing planning and designing of the network infrastructure and enterprise network solutions; troubleshooting, installing, implementing and administering network systems and providing support and problem resolution to the membership. The Network Support Engineer also analyzes capacity issues and develops capacity planning models, ensures planned testing activities are executed. The Network Support Engineer also responds to technical inquiries, logs service and repair activities, creates manuals and guides, updates and maintains all network documentation. The Network Support Engineer travels to all NJEdge colocation facilities to perform service as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Primary responsibility is to manage the day to day operations of the network.
• Manages Network Inventory and documentation.
• Performs required maintenance on all network hardware and software platforms
• Strong working familiarity with Cisco IOS, XE and Nexus OS with hands-on experience configuring Cisco routers, VPNs, switches and firewalls.
• Network Connectivity: Provides support for network connectivity or related network issues for the user community.
• Manages trouble ticket resolution in NJEdge service desk platform.
• Troubleshoot all network problems
• Ability to work with multiple vendors concurrently to resolve problems
• Network Installation: Plans and monitors the installation of network systems.
• Installation of hardware and cabling in support of network installations, moves, adds and changes.
• Network Monitoring: Analyzes network activity and network problems to discover and prevent systematic errors.
• Issue Resolution: Troubleshoots, diagnoses and resolves network problems. Researches, analyzes and recommends the implementation of software or hardware changes to rectify any network deficiencies or to enhance network performance.
• Network Performance Assessment: Assesses network performance to ensure that it meets the present and future needs of the membership.
• Knowledge of commercial enterprise-level tools and products to provide network services, including: ASA firewalls, IPS/IDS, DNS, DHCP, web security, TACACS+, VPN and NAC.
• Documents and communicates assigned work and progress to immediate project team, management and member stakeholder personnel.
• Communicates problems and/or issues in a timely manner and in accord with established protocols for incident management and problem resolution.
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with NJEdge staff, vendor partners and the membership.
• Provides customer support with high levels of professional conduct
• Performs related duties and fulfill responsibilities as directed by the Principal Network Architect and senior management of the NJEdge organization.
• Ability to work in a dynamically changing environment.
• At least two years prior experience working with Cisco networking devices including routers and switches as well as other networking gear.
• Knowledge based on work experience with BGP, OSPF, STP, Multicast, SNMP, IPV6.
• Experience providing support for large enterprise or service provider networks.
• Experience with network diagnostic tools
• At least two to five years of relevant IT work experience.
• Must have a valid license to drive that is in good standing as the candidate will be required to travel to NJEdge POPs (NJ, NY, PA) and member locations in support of network operation activities.
• Must be capable of lifting up to 50 lbs., climb ladders, bend and stoop to perform equipment maintenance in network facilities.
• Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to provide plain English explanations of technology issues for nontechnical managers, directors and other stakeholders.
• Knowledge of LINUX/UNIX, Cloud Services Amazon, Microsoft, Google and other operating systems.