The Vice President Finance & Administration/CFO for NJEdge.Net, Inc. [hereinafter “Edge”], New Jersey and the northeast region’s premiere Research and Education Network (REN) and technology solutions partner organization, reports to the President and Chief Executive Officer of the organization. Edge currently seeks a Vice President Finance & Administration/CFO who is an experienced and successful leader to be responsible for developing standards, policies and procedures relating to each designated business area, working strategically with Operations to ensure continuous improvement, efficiency and cost-effective management of all business functions in a manner that abides the Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) framework. The Vice President Finance & Administration/CFO serves as the Chief Financial Officer and is a member of the President’s Executive Management team in support of all areas of fiscal and administrative services, and is an active participant in shaping and advancing the priorities of the 501 (c)(3) Corporation. Overseeing an annual budget in excess of $23 million, the Vice President Finance & Administration/CFO must be comfortable working transparently in partnership with the President, other executive and leadership team members, staff, and members of the Board of Trustees in an environment that utilizes, respects, and values shared governance and collaboration. The Vice President Finance & Administration/CFO will be an effective and innovative leader, natural collaborator and communicator, and an accomplished leader of people, processes, projects, and systems. The ideal candidate will have related professional financial and/or administrative experience that demonstrates progressive responsibility and evidence of strategic leadership. Applicable senior financial/administrative management experience is highly desirable with knowledge and experience in research and sponsored grants activity.
The ideal candidate is a team player who possesses a career track of progressive, documented accomplishments in increasingly complex financial management roles in medium-size, complex organizations, preferably with non-profit corporation experience. He/she will also present an ideal professional record that demonstrates the capacity to establish leadership of a service-oriented function within a multifaceted technology enterprise. This opportunity favors a growth strategist with the capacity and related experience to support Edge’s planned regional expansion, and service mission to increase the corporation’s footprint in the government, healthcare and K-12 education domains while concurrently maintaining our momentum with our core higher education customer market. Familiarity with sponsored research and grants activity is also a plus. This position requires an innovative and tactical thinker who possesses sound technical skills and knowledge of all aspects of business affairs including budgeting processes; accounting, investments; business management; organizational principles and techniques, general education and contract and employment law. The successful candidate will espouse principals based on integrity, honesty, sincerity and compassion, along with a commitment to Edge’s core values.
The Vice President Finance & Administration/CFO leads, plans, organizes, and directs operations in the areas of financial services, budget planning and execution, cash management, annual external audit, facilities management, human resource management, payroll, risk management for staff and students, cooperative purchasing systems, and legal affairs. The Vice President Finance & Administration/CFO’s division supports and advances the mission of the organization by providing excellent stewardship of human, physical, and fiscal resources. The Vice President Finance & Administration/CFO is responsible for directing all aspects of accounting operations, overseeing all transactions related to general ledger, receivables, payables, payroll and financial reporting.
- A self-starter who is intellectually curious, innovative, and excited about “creating” in a fast-paced environment.
- Superior communication skills; expert at translating and communicating complex financial and operational information to varying audiences.
- Ability to manage an aggressive agenda in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment, and to receive input from and build consensus with multiple sources.
- Strong emotional intelligence. A balance of wisdom and judgment with an ability to work independently.
- A mentor-leader who enjoys bringing out the best in a diverse team of dedicated professionals
- Demonstrated skill in navigating successfully through ambiguity and frequent change – agile and flexible as a leader, peer, coach and team member.
- Strategic and future-oriented, with a tangible, demonstrated, robust commitment to the mission and growth strategies of Edge.
- Understands and drives for excellence.
- The instinct to be politically astute, yet not political.
- Effective, creative and a problem-solver. Proven experience in making sound judgments in a complex environment. Possess the ability to analyze existing paradigms and create streamlined processes.
- Outstanding communication skills (written and oral); the ability to inspire and inform.
- A person who earns the trust of others through genuine engagement and demonstrated actions.
- A change agent with transformational management skills to lead within an evolving institutional environment.
- Leadership acumen and persona to serve as an effective sounding board to executives, possessing high leadership courage and willingness to speak with candor in an environment of trust and respect.
- Able to facilitate multiple competing priorities and divergent viewpoints, with attention to detail. Excellent follow through skills with record of responding to constituents in a timely way.
- The highest personal integrity and ethics.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, bringing mutual respect for diverse cultures and inclusivity, a record of accomplishments in an environment with a rich mix of diversity.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop strategies for Edge’s financial health for the future while managing ongoing financial and administrative functions
- Establish projections and cash dashboards, forecasts and control cash requirements and anticipated cash flow on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis.
- Establish and maintain a strong internal controls environment to properly report the financial results of the organization.
- Direct the preparation of quality presentations, reports and financial information statements that are delivered timely and with the highest degree of precision and accuracy.
- Develop financial strategies by planning and forecasting capital, facilities, and staff requirements.
- Provide strategic leadership in planning for growth, resolving financial issues and evaluating financial performance against objectives.
- Ensure compliance with Board of Trustees’ policies and corporate articles of incorporation, county, state and federal regulations; generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP); and other statutory requirements.
- Forecast future and ensure timely invoicing, collections, payables, costs and expenses.
- Analyze Edge’s financial results with respect to positive net income, trends, costs and compliance with budgets.
- Provide strategic guidance around capital financing options to support company growth needs.
- Develop and coordinate all relationships with lending/financial institutions.
- Develop and maintain all necessary accounting policies and systems, including general ledger and financial reporting.
- Understand revenue and cost drivers and define appropriate reports for tracking.
- Coordinate and manage Edge’s annual external audit.
- Manage relationships with insurance providers and ensure policy compliance.
- Manage all tax planning and compliance with all required federal, state, local, payroll, property and other applicable taxes.
- Actively manage cash flow.
- Manage and develop accounting, finance, legal, human resources functions,
- Manage related and affiliate organizations
- Manage channel program development and supply chain program
- Outside legal counsel coordination and managementOther finance and administrative duties as required.
- An undergraduate degree in Finance or Accounting from a regionally accredited institution.
- Ten plus years of experience in executive financial management
- Experience in professional services, demand creation, communications, customer relationship management, marketing, sales, and/or business development
- Strong group interaction and presentation skills
- Acute business acumen and judgment
- Ability to travel in approximately 20% of the time as required.
- Ability to innovate, develop new strategies, and drive creativity and innovation within the organization’s business development and revenue generating strategies.
- Exceptional listening, relationship building and interpersonal skills, with the ability to represent the organization passionately to potential partners, as well as listen and respond to the interests of a variety of stakeholders.
- A graduate degree in Finance or Accounting
- CPA designation or JD degree
- Familiarity with the Higher Education, K-12, government (SLED), library and healthcare environments and landscapes.
- Knowledge and experience with the financial aspects of research and sponsored grants.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary range of $180-190,000 (depending on qualifications and experience) to be paid bi-weekly
- Paid time off as determined by company policy
- (Year 1-4) the employee receives 15 days paid time off
- (After 5+ years of service) the employee receives 22 days paid time off
- Ten (10) paid holidays per year
- Medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, life insurance, as well as matching contribution under a retirement plan